Okay, out with it. Have a good laugh. What? Nothing out there to make your eyes sparkle and your insides vibrate you say? Umm, maybe you’re not looking hard enough.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and I tend to agree. I laugh a lot. I can’t help it. If God saw fit to give us a sense of humour, I say let’s put it to good use. After all, there must be something more to laughing than a noise erupting from our open mouths and our bellies jiggling. The experts all seem to agree that it’s good for us. They can’t ALL be wrong, can they ?
Recently, I read some advise in a health book that said, “Take time to laugh every day.” It sounded like a no-brainier to me. Take time to laugh actually sounds weird. It sounds as though the author is saying we should put it on our to-do list to make sure we don’t forget. Hmmm, I wonder how that would work.
I think it would look silly on a run–of-the-mill to do list, not only that, it makes me wonder if I accidentally let one slip out before I get to it on my list, does that mean I’m all set for the day. I can wait until tomorrow before I laugh again. Hmmm.
A trip out to the clothesline this morning while I was working on this post brought another idea into my mind. Perhaps we need to take a moment and rethink these to-do lists we’re constantly constructing, maybe fill it with fun things that don’t necessarily have us striving to do more and moving mountains in the process. In fact, maybe I’ll make a new list. I’ll call it a To-Live List. Here goes.
Friday`s To- Live List
- Spend time in the sunshine. (There’s nothing like a good dose of sunshine to brighten dampened spirits or to simply make us feel alive. In fact, it should be a requirement for daily living.)
- Smile at a stranger. I do this all the time in the grocery store. It’s such a simple thing, but you never know the smile you give someone else might be exactly what they needed for that day. Not only that, it fills us up and doesn’t cost a cent. : )
- Create. I don’t care how you do it or how well. We all came to the planet to create in one way or another. So get busy. But..but..but.. I don’t draw or paint or write, you might be saying. Keep in mind that creativity comes in many forms, gardening, knitting, scrapbooking, sewing, cooking, baking, the list is endless. If you enjoy doing it, go for it!
- Tell yourself you’re awesome every day, and mean it. How do I know you’re awesome? We all are. We wouldn’t be here if we weren’t. We need to be our own cheering section. There won’t always be someone there to tell us how awesome we are.
- Laugh at life or yourself, whichever one works for you. What, you don’t think life is funny? Life offers us many, many opportunities to laugh. If something funny didn’t happen this day, thank goodness your memory will help you pull something out of its long repertoire of funny- things-that-have-happened-in-the-past-that-can-still-make-me-laugh-out-loud-to this- day moments. I’m still chuckling over last weekend’s blunder when hubby and I came out of the mall and could not find the car. We hunted and hunted, until we eventually found it exactly where we’d parked it. Imagine that! Hubby’s comment was, “When we get older it won’t pay for us to go out of the house!” I had to agree.
- Sing. I think singing ranks right up there with laughter. When I think of all the beautiful songs in the world it just blows my mind. Being able to express ourselves through music is such a wonderful gift. It doesn’t matter if the tune you’re carrying won’t fit in that bucket of yours, who says we have to perform for anyone. Besides, most times the lyrics are something to be marvelled at as well.
- Feel gratitude. Gratitude is something we all feel, or should feel, daily. For those of you who think they’ve nothing to be grateful for, maybe you just haven’t looked hard enough. At the very least feel gratitude for another day with you in it. And don’t forget to say thank you. I find many things that make me smile inwardly as I say a silent thank you, to the Universe, to God, to whatever force of higher intelligence you might believe in that keeps this world of ours flowing.
Since I like the number 7, I’ll end my list of “To Live “ items here. I happen to think all these things are important. There are plenty more things I could have added to this list, but I have only so much time for blogging. So, I`ll leave you to continue….If you were making a To Live list what might you add?