The layout file for Bitter, Sweet arrived earlier this week with a request that I have a list of any errors or changes I want in the text back to them by Friday. Normally that wouldn’t be a big deal— we’re not talking about a full length novel here–but since I work during the day I’ve been a bit pressed for time.
For anyone who hasn’t seen one before, a layout file is basically a pdf file of the book pages, the way they will appear in the book, complete with dedication, acknowledgments, and a whole page of other necessary things like photo credit, the copyright, book cover designer, those sorts of things. Since the printing on the layout file is so large I found it much easier to read and to find little errors that didn’t get picked up before.
Our brains are a curious thing for we tend to see what we think is there instead of what is actually there. Proofreading my novel several times made this all too clear. Of course this was the first time I actually read it word for word, out loud, to make sure everything was in its place. Hope we (my editor will be giving it a final look through as well) didn’t miss anything but I can list a good many books where I found mistakes and I must say I was pretty forgiving. Hopefully if we’ve missed something my readers will also be forgiving.
Also today, the final cover (front and back) came for my approval. Sure looked strange seeing my face on the back cover. I really like the synopsis they put together, I feel as though it really captures the essence of the book
Guess it’s all coming together now. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure it’s not a dream.